How Are Progressive Web Apps Better Than Native Apps?
Progressive web apps
- The app store acts as a massive shopping window, a gateway to all the services and content people consumes on their mobile devices.
- People use app stores to find solutions to their problems in much the same way they use google on the mobile web.
- If you have an existing brand, you can count on people looking for you in stores as well, which happens a lot these days as apps are the modern consumer expectation for digital businesses.
- Since developers usually design an app specifically for iOS or android users, this ensures that the native app experience is tailored to each platform.
- Developers need to worry less about cross browser or cross platform compatibility and more about shaping their app for one particular mobile device.
- One of the great things mobile apps can do for the end user is to give them the ability to access the information having to be a connected to the internet.
- A PWA is a web application that installs on your system and where possible works offline using cached data.
Storage, data, and power
- When a native app is installed on a mobile device, it will draw directly from the device’s resources.
- For heavier apps, those that users interact with a frequently, or those that they forget to a close completely the resource usage in terms of power and battery, storage space and mobile data usage can be significant.
- When it comes to apps, there are two sides from which a update can be viewed the user’s view and the developer’s view.
- There may be times when a native app requires a manual update, but for the most part the process is automated and users barely know when an update has gone through.
- Push notifications are one of the key reasons why many website owners and businesses build a mobile app.
- A summarize, an effective push notification strategy will lead to more engagement with your content and mobile app.
- Security and privacy are key and companies need their mobile apps to be secure, protect their user data and also be GDPR compliant.
- Native apps have the ability to be a secure solution for both the app owner and the user.
- Multi factor authentication adds a large layer of security to native apps.
Advantages of progressive web apps
A big advantage of paws over native apps is that they are independent of app stores. Customers don’t need to download pwas and use a lot of space. All that is needed is a web browser.
The PWA can work offline, allowing users to access the online store at any time and a keep it always up to date.
Disadvantages of progressive web apps
Because PWAs are only half apps, their functionality is limited. PWAs do not have access to a calendar, contacts, browser bookmarks, and alarms. PWA cannot intercept SMS or calls, get the user’s phone number, and so on.
No internal geolocation
Progressive web apps do not have access to Bluetooth, which is necessary for indoor geolocation.
Advantages of native apps
Because native apps are developed and optimized for a specific platform, they provide a high level of performance. Native apps are installed directly on smartphones, allowing the software to take advantage of the device’s processing speed.
Superior user experience
A great user experience has always been essential. All iOS apps must comply with apple’s human design guidelines in order to be a published on the app Store.
Disadvantages of native apps
High development costs
Unlike paws, native mobile apps are complex to develop and expensive to maintain. Ecommerce store owners need to develop a mobile app for each platform and then maintain them.
Customers need to download the native app from the app store to start using it. For most online shoppers, this is a considered the next step in their online shopping journey.
As technology improves, some good use cases for pwas have certainly emerged. For large social media sites are a good example of something that would work well as a pwa.